Whether you’re considering renovating your bathroom or designing your dream house there are many different things to consider for your bathroom design. From kitchen and bedroom design, to bathroom vanity types, shapes and colors, and finally, your bathtub design it can be a little overwhelming to make a decision.
The best way to make a decision is to be informed. There are a number of options available for you and knowing what all the strengths and weaknesses of your bathroom tubs will help you make the right one. From porcelain to acrylic to cast iron tubs, there are a number of different ways to go with your choice. We focused on two options, cast iron vs. acrylic bathtubs, to help you make your decision.
Here are a few facts you need to know before you decide:
- Acrylic is lighter of the two. If your bathroom is located upstairs or difficult to get to, this may make the most sense.
- Cast Iron tubs are heavy but last longer than most other types.
- Acrylic bathtubs are insulated by fiberglass and cheaper than most other types of bathtubs.
- Cast Iron tubs are melted iron that is poured into a mold and therefore inflexible and nearly indestructible.
Now that you know a couple basic facts about the differences in cast iron and acrylic bathtubs, you need weigh a few other factors about each before deciding. By looking closely at each of the strengths you’ll have a better idea of what you should purchase that meets your needs.
Here are some facts about cast iron tubs to help you:
- Cast iron tubs are more expensive than most tubs. As they are melted steel, they are also more durable and longer lasting then almost any other type.
- It takes longer to heat water in cast iron tubs since the heat is pulled out of the water to the iron to warm it. Once that happens, cast iron tubs will help keep your bath water warmer, longer.
- Cast iron tubs are solid pieces of steel. This fact makes them nearly indestructible as well as appears both classy and glamorous. You get style and function with a cast iron tub.
Now that you have an idea of the strengths of cast iron tubs, let’s compare those with acrylic bathtubs for you to have a better idea of their benefits.
- Acrylic bathtubs are composed by various molds that make them easy to design for many shapes and styles. This will help match your tub with your overall bathroom design.
- Acrylic bathtubs are firm but susceptible to occasional scratching or scuffing. If your tub isn’t sealed correctly, you may do irreparable harm to the tub with the wrong type of cleaning agent or brush.
- Acrylic bathtubs are easier to heat water in but won’t contain the heat as well as natural cast iron tubs. Acrylic bathtubs are insulated with fiberglass and are typically warmer even without water, which is helpful during cold winter months, but they also don’t help retain the heat as well as cast iron tubs.
We know there’s a lot to consider when you’re looking at options for your bathroom design. It’s your bathroom and you’re committed to making it all that you want it to be. We've pointed out some relative strength of cast iron tubs and acrylic bathtubs to help you make an informed decision. It’s your home and plans your bathroom design how you want.
We hope that with the information we've provided you’ll see that there’s no wrong decision with a cast iron tubs vs. acrylic bathtubs and that you’ll soon be able to sink into the warm water and relax in a sea of bubbles, washing the world and all it’s stresses away.